“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ Matthew 25:40



Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What fills your void?

Why is it that we struggle so? Why do we hold on so tightly to things that we know are no good for us? Why would we be willing to go down in ruins knowing that we could stop it all from happening? Why can't we give up the control we think we have, when in reality what we are struggling with or addicted to, is really controlling us? I'm not just speaking of drugs or alcohol, but also money, things like possessions, work, eating, exercising, not eating, fame, glory, attention, security, shopping, fear, or even people. Why is it that we keep trying to fill a void that only He can fill? Why do we keep piling in all of this when we know it will never do the trick.

It starts out innocently enough but eventually it takes over. It grows and manifest and becomes the thing we think we cant live without. The tolerance grows higher and higher and we are left needing more. It becomes our secret sin that we think no one knows, but in reality everyone knows. It makes a fool out of us. It turns us in to something we never wanted to be. It can take us from the on top of the world to living on the streets homeless in no time flat. It can rob us of our relationships, spouses, kids, homes, jobs, it just wont stop until we stop it. When is enough enough?

The struggle isn't really the addiction, its what we fill the void with that we all have. We can search and seek and pour in and consume all we find, but if its not Jesus it will leave us empty. I have been there. I still struggle. We all do. The important thing is we have a God who has not left us alone to fight our battles but is there fighting for us. I may not know what it is like to struggle with a serious drug addiction but I know what it is like to struggle with your thoughts. I may not know what it is like to struggle with alcohol but I do know what it is like to struggle with  be held captive to fear.

Beloved I have been down in that pit and without Jesus it wouldn't be long before I was right back there. He is the only thing that can fill that void. He created us with the void so that He can be the one you put in its place. I just want to encourage you today know matter what struggles or hardships you are enduring. Relationships in trouble, addictions, bandages, brokenness, or even illness beloved just cry out to Him. He was sent to bind up the brokenhearted and aren't we the brokenhearted? My love, He is healer!

Isaiah 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
Because the Lord has anointed me
to bring good news to the afflicted;
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to captives and freedom to prisoners.

No comments:

Post a Comment